Monday, April 15, 2024
No menu items!

A woman wants khula’

Fatwaa ID: 1716

A relative wants khulaa.
As her father has passed away,and mother is not too well to communicate at such formal meetings.
So,is it fine that the girl herself talks to her in laws( and let’s them know of her intentions for khulaa)
while she is on conference call with her real brother,and other cousin sisters.

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

Khula’ refers to the wife requesting the husband for divorce in lieu of a monetary or material amount, as mutually agreed by both sides. The husband’s acceptance is necessary for the validity of the khula’. If he does not accept, then the khula’ will not take place. It is not necessary for the father, brother or anyone to talk or witness the khula’ request or agreement. If she wants someone to witness the exchange of the request and the acceptance or rejection, then that is permissible.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

02/21/1445 AH – 09/07/2023 CE | AML1-8280

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.