Fatwaa ID: 967
Assalaamu ‘Alaikum. Is hugging your aunts sinful? Like if they lean in to say hi. Or female cousins
What about mother in law or wife’s aunts or female cousins
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.
- Your biological aunts, i.e., your parents biological sisters, are mahrams. You may hug them modestly.
- Cousins of the opposite gender are non-mahrams. It is haraam to hug them or have physical interactions with them. The laws of hijaab are fully applicable with them.
- The mother-in-law is a mahram. It is permissible to hug her modestly.
- The wife’s aunts are non-mahrams. You cannot hug them. The laws of hijaab are applicable with them.
- The wife’s cousins of the opposite gender are non-mahrams. It is not permissible to hug them or have physical interactions with them. The laws of hijaab are fully applicable with them.
And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York
وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين
Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation.
Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.
References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites.
Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.