Fatwaa ID: 184
Assalamualaikum Hazrat Mufti Sahab
Is it permissible for muslims to take Child Support Grant given by South African government ?
The terms and conditions can be obtained from following link.
1. Is it permissible for muslims to take Child Support Grant given by South African government ?
2. If it is permissible, who will be the owner of the money ? The child or the parents ?
3. If parents are owner of the money, can they use the funds for any other purpose besides spending behind the child ?
4. If child is the owner of the money can it be saved / invest for his future and hand him / her over when he / she reached to puberty ?
5. [ Not earn more than R48 000 per year if you are single. If you are married, your combined income should not be above R96 000 per year. ] – If wife is not working but husband’s income is more than given criteria, can one still apply for this grant ?
I am asking this question on behalf of someone and I doubt to apply for this grant, one might have to speak lie about the income or show the government as if they are living separate.
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.
Child support grants are offered by the government to those children whose parents cannot fulfill the financial needs and maintenance of the child. It is the responsibility of the government to take care of the needs of needy children.
The answers to your queries are as follows:
1. It is permissible to take child support grants given by the government if you are eligible.
2-4. According to our understanding, the grant will come into the ownership of the child. The child’s primary caregiver, i.e. his parent(s) or legal guardian will execute and spend the money on behalf of the child as the child is yet a minor. It would thus be indispensable that the grant be responsibly used for the best interest of the child. This is left to the discretion of the caregiver.
5. If the wife is not working but the husband’s income is more than the given criteria for a single but not above the combined income of a married couple, then it will be permissible to apply for the grant. The clause stated in the terms and conditions is in reference to both spouses working.
It is imperative that one lives an honest and truthful life[i]. It does not behoove a Muslim to be dishonest. It is truthfulness and honesty that leads a person to recognize Allaah Ta’aala and get close to Him. Truthfulness and honesty is not confined to the issues of faith. It is in all spheres of life; truthfulness in one’s dealings, truthfulness in one’s family and associates. Moreover, the barakah lies in being honest[ii].
Furthermore, we are advised that we should not do anything that will bring disgrace to us. As Muslims, we ought to lead a life of respect and dignity[iii].
And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best.
Muajul I. Chowdhury
Student, Darul Iftaa
Astoria, New York, USA
Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.
وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين
[i] صحيح البخاري (1/ 8)
7 – حدثنا أبو اليمان الحكم بن نافع قال: أخبرنا شعيب، عن الزهري قال: أخبرني عبيد الله بن عبد الله بن عتبة بن مسعود، أن عبد الله بن عباس، أخبره أن أبا سفيان بن حرب أخبره: أن هرقل أرسل إليه في ركب من قريش…………. قال: ماذا يأمركم؟ قلت: يقول: اعبدوا الله وحده ولا تشركوا به شيئا، واتركوا ما يقول آباؤكم، ويأمرنا بالصلاة والزكاة والصدق والعفاف والصلة.
[ii] صحيح البخاري (3/ 58)
2079 – حدثنا سليمان بن حرب، حدثنا شعبة، عن قتادة، عن صالح أبي الخليل، عن عبد الله بن الحارث، رفعه إلى حكيم بن حزام رضي الله عنه، قال: قال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وسلم: ” البيعان بالخيار ما لم يتفرقا، – أو قال: حتى يتفرقا – فإن صدقا وبينا بورك لهما في بيعهما، وإن كتما وكذبا محقت بركة بيعهما “
[iii] سنن الترمذي (4/ 93 )
حَدَّثَنَا مُحَمَّدُ بْنُ بَشَّارٍ، قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا عَمْرُو بْنُ عَاصِمٍ، قَالَ: حَدَّثَنَا حَمَّادُ بْنُ سَلَمَةَ، عَنْ عَلِيِّ بْنِ زَيْدٍ، عَنِ الحَسَنِ، عَنْ جُنْدَبٍ، عَنْ حُذَيْفَةَ قَالَ: قَالَ رَسُولُ اللهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ: لاَ يَنْبَغِي لِلْمُؤْمِنِ أَنْ يُذِلَّ نَفْسَهُ قَالُوا: وَكَيْفَ يُذِلُّ نَفْسَهُ؟ قَالَ: يَتَعَرَّضُ مِنَ البَلاَءِ لِمَا لاَ يُطِيقُ.
Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation.
Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.
References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites.
Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.