Saturday, June 22, 2024
No menu items!

Decisions of a lady with Alzheimer’s

Fatwaa ID: 1553

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuhu
An elderly lady has Alzheimers
She stays with her son & daughter in-law who see to all her needs & care for her .she doesn’t remembr or make decisions regarding anything
The other children dnt involve themselves
Regarding her possessions to give away clothes or to stitch clothes for her or to give things away which belong to her
Can the son & daughter in-law in whose care she is in decide or have to ask the other children also?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

May Allaah Ta’aala make it easy for the lady in question and her family. In the enquired situation where she cannot make decisions herself, the son taking care of her will make decisions on her behalf. He is her representative and guardian. He does not need to ask the other siblings. That being said, he must ensure that every decision is in the best interests of the mother. He may not make any decision contrary to that.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

01/14/1445 AH – 08/01/2023 CE | AML1-8119

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.