Wednesday, July 17, 2024
No menu items!

Defective item

Fatwaa ID: 304

السلام عليكم ورحمة الله وبركاته

Respected Mufti saheb

Someone sold an item to a person. After 2 months since delivery of the item, the buyer says it is not working properly and wants a refund.

The seller says he should have let him know earlier as he could have then returned the product to his supplier.

Does the seller have to refund the buyer?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

In principle, if a defective item is sold and the buyer comes to know of the defect after purchasing it, then he will have the right to cancel the transaction and demand a refund. However, if the defect comes about in the item after the purchase of the item while in the hand of the buyer, then the buyer will not be held accountable.
In the enquired situation, both parties are reminded to fear Allaah Ta’aala and be truthful in their dealings. If necessary, they may refer to a mediater to resolve the matter.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

06/14/1444 AH – 01/07/2023 CE | AMG1-2292

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.