Fatwaa ID: 1038
Assalamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuhu
Dear Mufti Kiraam
Is witr valid if a hanafi prays behind a Hanafi Imam who leads Witr Salah in the following manner:
The first three Rakaat are prayed normally uptil the the surah after surah Fatihah. Thereafter without Qunoot, rukoo’ is made, thereafter Qawmah. In this qawmah Qunoot is made as is done like the Fajr of the Shawafi’. The rest is completed normally.
- If it is valid, would it be preferred to read at home instead
- If a Hanafi is asked to lead in this manner, should he refuse
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.
- The salaah in reference will be valid, in assumption that he has adopted the view of the other legal schools. The Hanafi imaam however will be blameworthy for acting contrary to his legal school. He is intentionally delaying a waajib act, which would otherwise invalidate the salaah. If he has to read the Qunoot audibly, he should do so prior to the rukoo’. That is a non-authoritative position in the Hanafi legal school.
- You may join him in Witr. That is better than performing it individually at home.
- Yes. He must refuse. One should adhere to his legal school, especially in matters that may affect the validity of the salaah.
And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York
وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين
Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation.
Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.
References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites.
Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.