Saturday, April 13, 2024
No menu items!

Husband and In Laws disrespecting and abusing wife

Fatwaa ID: 067


Aslm Respected Mufti Sahen

I am seeking advise regarding my husband and in laws.  After being married for 33 years I feel like throwing in the towel.  From the very day I married my husband my in laws never liked me . I got told the most hurtful things by my mil .  She even used to call my parents and swear at them. When my fil passed away she told me that I am taking a widows curse. My husband even abused drugs for three yrs. Alhamdulillah Allah guided him back onto the right path.  After tolerating all of this now Mufti Saheb must be wondering why my decision now.  We’ll I see that my husband no longer talks to me with respect n yet with his mom n sisters he talks with utmost respect and now I have realised that he never stopped the abusive behaviour from his family that came my way.   Mufti Saheb I can confidently say that I fulfill all my duties that a wife should.  Please advise   Shukran.May Allah reward all your efforts Ameen

Sent from my Windows 10 phone

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.

Sister in Islaam,

We take note of the contents of your query and sympathize with you.

We commend you for your patience and perseverance and for fulfilling your duties as a wife. Your reward with Allaah Ta’aala will not go vain.

Islaam has allotted rights for both the husband and the wife. A blissful marriage arises when both spouses respect and value one another. The conduct of your husband is unfortunate. You should also introspect if you are doing anything wrong that is causing him to react in a bad manner.

We advise you to show extra love and affection towards your husband. Compliment and praise him in his doings. Thank him for what he does. Surprise him with gifts. Perhaps this will cause him to realize your value and honor you as you deserve.

If after a few weeks of treating him such you do not see any change, discuss the issue with your husband when he is in a good and happy mood and attempt coming to terms with him. If he points out some of your weaknesses, you should consider that and make adjustments in your attitude. If all this does not help, you should consult an influential scholar or elder to intervene and advise your husband. If the situation persists, then you may contact a reputable senior Mufti to decide further.

In the meanwhile, you should make du’aa to Allaah Ta’aala that He strengthens the bond between you and him.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best.
Muajul I. Chowdhury
Student, Darul Iftaa
New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.


وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.