Monday, May 27, 2024
No menu items!

Inflation and late mahr

Fatwaa ID: 845

A mahr of 5,000 was fixed. The groom did not give it to his wife. It has been 30 years, and now he decides to give her the mahr.
That 5,000 in today’s time is now valued at 50,000.
How much mahr is this man supposed to give? He gives what he has promised or how much value that money from back then would have had now?
Same question for another bride and groom but they have been married for 4 years, and the amount fixated has lost some value

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

We take note of the details of your query. The mahr is regarded as a debt on the husband until paid. Inflation is not considered in this. Hence, if they agreed to $5,000, then he will only have to pay her $5,000 even if the value has increased or decreased. He does not have to give anything extra. This applies to both scenarios in question. However, if he wishes to willingly and voluntarily give her more to make her happy, then that is permissible.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

08/23/1444 AH – 03/15/2023 CE | AML1-7311

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.