Tuesday, June 25, 2024
No menu items!

Inheritance and dying before one’s parents

Fatwaa ID: 1672

Salam alaykum.
If xyz person is to receive inheritance from his parents but dies before them. Can the children of xyz person receive the inheritance from the grandparents on his behalf?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

An heir is only entitled to receive a share of someone’s estate if he is alive at the time of the demise of that person. If a person predeceases his parents, then he is not entitled to anything from his parents’ estate nor will his children or family inherit his parents on his behalf. The parents of the deceased who are alive will however receive a share of his estate.

It is a different issue that the grandchildren may inherit the grandparents in the absence of any male children of the grandparents. That is not on behalf of the deceased parent. You may revert to us with a full list of who the survivors are, and we will advise accordingly.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

02/07/1445 AH – 08/24/2023 CE | AMG1-3376

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.