Fatwaa ID: 1228
Asalamualaikum Mufti Sahib, I hope you are well.
I have 4 questions:
- What are the inter-gender interactions and laws of hijab between non Mahrams, i.e.
-When touching them is PERMISSIBLE and when touching them is NOT PERMISSIBLE
-WHEN and WHERE (on the body) you CAN and CANNOT see them
- Can you watch videos that have profanity in them? Does hearing profanity break Wudhu?
- If you have an impurity on your clothes, is it permissible to wear something such as a thobe over the clothes and pray?
- Is it true that if there is impurity on your clothes and it is less than the size of a Dirham, it is permissible to perform acts that would require pure clothes?
JazaakAllahu khayran Mufti Sahib. May Allah SWT shower you and your family with blessings and may He accept your efforts to help others increase in knowledge and solve their doubts, and may Allah SWT allow us to act upon your advice. Ameen.
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.
May Allaah Ta’aala bless you in both lives.
1a. It is not permissible at all to touch a non-mahram. That is haraam.
1b. The ‘awrah of a woman in the presence of a non-mahram is her entire body except her face, hands up to the wrist and feet from below the ankles. A non-mahram man may not look at any part of her ‘awrah. The face too should be avoided. A non-mahram must lower his gaze.
- A Muslim does not use inappropriate and foul language nor does he listen to such. He will be accountable to Allaah Ta’aala for all this. He must speak and hear that which is good only. It is not permissible to watch or listen to content that has profanity. Such things decrease a person’s spirituality. However, this will not invalidate his wudhu.
- No. Everything that you are wearing must be pure and free from impurity when you stand in salaah. Wearing something over the impurity does not remove the impurity.
- Yes. That amount is excused. However, if one is able to wash the impurity off, then it is unadvisable to unnecessarily pray with even that amount of impurity.
And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York
وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين
Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation.
Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.
References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites.
Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.