Monday, July 22, 2024
No menu items!

Marital issue

Fatwaa ID: 203


Salaam, Im in situation, im married with my wife, but for the last Month ive have not been Living with her because of i was on drugs and had been violence. May Allah forgive me. The Reason dont live with her is to change my self insallah. So her father and my Cousin have decided that before i Can go home i have to change. My question is this? Is it haram for us both to live like this for the next 2-3 months. We dont talk to etoghter and dont meet. And tomorrow im Going for Umrah insallah.


In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.

As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

It is pleasing to note that you are trying to change yourself for the better. May Allaah Ta’aala grant you the ability to do so and keep you steadfast thereupon. May Allaah Ta’aala accept your ‘Umrah. Aameen.

Living in the above manner will not affect the validity of your marriage from a Shari’ah perspective. However, we advise you to seek council from your parents and/or seniors on the practicality of this issue.

And Allaah Ta’aala Knows Best.

Muajul I. Chowdhury
Student, Darul Iftaa
Astoria, New York, USA

Checked and Approved by,
Mufti Ebrahim Desai.

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.