Sunday, April 14, 2024
No menu items!

Marriage with non-Muslim man

Fatwaa ID: 1085

As-Salam alaykum respected Mufti Sahib,

I have been asked the following question and don’t know how to answer it. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I need advice on how to navigate a situation in which my husbands sister has decided to marry a non muslim. I am aware that there is no nikkah between a muslim woman and a non muslim man however they are still somehow getting nikkah done without shahada. The couple is openly stating the groom is not a muslim and have communicated this to family. Myself and kids will not attend this ceremony. however the rest of the family have accepted this and will join the celebration.

  1. my sons are 5 and 7 years old. How do I tell my children their aunty has married a non muslim? I am concerned about early exposure, desensitization and normalizing marriage to non muslims.
  2. How do i keep relations with their aunt when obviously we are striving to maintain an islamic environment at home. she will eventually have jewish children. She has stated her children will not be muslim.

It is challenging to raise muslim children in a non muslim society but now we will have non muslims within our family… is it ok to keep a FAR distance but not cut ties?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

We take note of the details of your query. We commend you for distancing yourself from the haraam and not attending the zina function. Marriage between a Muslim woman and a non-Muslim man is haraam and invalid. Such a relationship is that of zina. To attend a ceremony for this or celebrate this union is haraam and puts one’s faith in jeopardy. To express happiness over a sin or haraam act is kufr. The ceremony must be shunned and avoided even if it results in certain family members being displeased. Attaining the pleasure of Allaah Ta’aala is more important.

  1. Educate your children in regards to this from a tender age. Let them understand that what their aunt is doing is haraam and that they should make du’aa for her hidaayah. Do not let them become desensitized to this evil. It is okay if the aunt in question is displeased. We must stand our grounds and maintain our values and morals.
  2. It is sad to note that she is ready to sacrifice the eternal success of her children and herself merely to fulfill her lust and desire. May Allaah Ta’aala grant her hidaayah and give her the ability to subjugate her desires to the injunctions of Allaah Ta’aala. Continue to advise her with wisdom and care. You do not need to keep relationships with her, especially if it will result in negative impact on your children. Protecting your faith and the faith of your children is more important. You may however maintain a formal relationship with her. You do not need to mix with them or keep an intimate relationship with them.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.