Saturday, June 22, 2024
No menu items!

Marrying a person who has committed zina

Fatwaa ID: 1353

My friend rehan wants to marry a girl who has committed zina In past and one of her partner of zina rehan’s cousin. But now she don’t commit adultery and she repented a long back. Can he marry her?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

Zina, adultery, is one of the most abhorrent of actions in the Sight of Allaah Ta’aala. Severe punishments in both lives have been established in the Shari’ah for the perpetrators of this heinous crime. Notwithstanding this, if one makes sincere tawbah to Allaah Ta’aala, He will forgive him/her. In such a condition, it will also be permissible for the chaste ones to marry them.

In the enquired situation, it will be permissible for your friend to marry the sister in reference. Your friend is aware of her history and he wishes to marry her knowing this. He should also keep it like that after marriage and refrain from bringing up her past. Bringing up the past may result in turmoil in the marriage.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

12/08/1444 AH – 06/26/2023 CE | 458

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.