Saturday, February 24, 2024
No menu items!


Fatwaa ID: 1185


My father-in-law will not let my wife see me, even though the Nikkah has been completed. They won’t allow her to leave until the Rukhsati is done, but I can’t find anything about Rukhsati in Islam. Is there anything I can do?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

In principle, once the nikaah has taken place, a couple may meet and do as they wish. Rukhsati is a mutual agreement by both parties to delay moving in or living together until a specified time for certain reasons. If such an agreement was made, then it will be advisable to honor that. The couple are in their right however to revoke this agreement at any time that they wish.

In the enquired situation, your father-in-law has no right to prevent your wife from seeing you. You are her lawful husband. If you are unable to convince him, you may consider requesting someone of influence to him to speak on your behalf. However, consider the pros and cons before doing so. It may be in your best interests in the long run to exercise patience and uphold the custom.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.