Fatwaa ID: 1715
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullah.
- Are we allowed to suggest haraam or non-zabiha restaurants to non-Muslims? For example, when they ask if there are any restaurants nearby, etc.
- If we purchase any food that’s haraam (unintentionally), upon finding out it’s haraam, can we give that food to non-Muslims or simply give it to animals instead of entirely throwing it away?
- Are we intentionally allowed to buy any haraam food for non Muslim like homeless person?
In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.
- A person who indicates or suggests something, then it is as if he has done it. A person will be sinful of suggesting and eating haraam for suggesting haraam restaurants to Muslims or non-Muslims. It should be clear that non-zabiha and haraam are the same.
- No. Just as it is haraam for you to consume haraam food, it is also haraam for you to feed or provide haraam food to others including non-Muslims and animals. You must discard it. If you discard it and someone or something picks it up and eats it, then you will not be responsible for that.
- No. It is haraam to provide haraam food to others.
And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York
02/15/1445 AH – 09/01/2023 CE | AMG1-3406
وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين
Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation.
Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.
References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites.
Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.