Tuesday, May 21, 2024
No menu items!

Wali in the absence of father

Fatwaa ID: 1316

Assalamualaikum if a father passes away leaving behind unmarried daughters, who becomes their wali? If they have an older brother does he become the wali by default?

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

In the absence of the father, the next of kin to become wali of an unmarried girl will be paternal grandfather how high soever. In his absence, the full brother will be the wali.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين

الأحوال الشخصية في الأحكام الشرعية (1/120)
الولي في النكاح العصبة بنفسه على ترتيب الإرث والحجب فيقدم الابن ثم ابن الابن وإن سفل ثم الأب ثم الجد الصحيح وإن علا ثم الأخ الشقيق ثم الأخ لأب ثم ابن الأخ لأب ثم العم الشقيق…..


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on askthemufti.us for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.