Sunday, December 10, 2023
No menu items!

Widow spending iddah in her sons’ houses

Fatwaa ID: 1003

Can the wife of the deceased stay in both her son’s houses during her iddat. One son lives in Birmingham, another lives in London (distance being more than the shar’ee distance to be deemed a musafir)
Jazakallah Khaira

In the Name of Allaah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salaamu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullaahi wa-barakaatuh.

May Allaah Ta’aala elevate the status of the deceased and grant sabr jameel to the bereaved family. A widow must spend her ‘iddah in her marital home. She may not spend it elsewhere unless there is a genuine need. The details provided are not sufficient. However, you may use the above to determine where she will spend her ‘iddah.

And Allaah Ta’aala knows best.
Mufti Muajul I. Chowdhury
Darul Iftaa New York

وصل اللهم وسلم وبارك على سيدنا محمد وعلى ءاله وصحبه أجمعين


Darul Iftaa New York answers questions on issues pertaining to Shari’ah. These questions and answers are placed for public view on for educational purposes. The rulings given here are based on the questions posed and should be read in conjunction with the questions. Many answers are unique to a particular scenario and cannot be taken as a basis to establish a ruling in another situation. 

Darul Iftaa New York bears no responsibility with regard to its answers being used out of their intended contexts, nor with regard to any loss or damage that may be caused by acting on its answers or not doing so.

References and links to other websites should not be taken as an endorsement of all contents of those websites. 

Answers may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent of Darul Iftaa New York.